Friday Update for March 16, 2018
Anchorage Municipal ballots for the 2018 election on April 3rd have been sent out! Keep your eyes open in your mail box for your official ballot. Traditional polling locations are no longer an option for voting on Election Day. You can return your ballot in three ways:
- U.S. Postal Service – Mail your ballot return envelope using first-class postage and postmarked before or on Election Day. Or, save postage by using a …
- Secure Ballot Drop Box – Place your ballot return envelope in a Secure Ballot Drop Box.
- Accessible Vote Center – Take your ballot return envelope to an Accessible Vote Center.
The Municipal Clerk’s Office can be reached at 907-243-8683.
For more information or if you have questions on the process click here!
Key Meetings Next Week
As part of our efforts to keep you informed and abreast of what is happening in Juneau, we are including this brief rundown of meetings
- Senate Finance at 9 a.m., 2018 Spring Revenue Forecast
- House Health and Social Services at 3 p.m., HCR 22 Naming April 2018 Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- Lunch and Learn at 12 p.m., Missile Defense Presentations
- Senate Resources at 3:30 p.m., DNR’s Role in Natural Gas Commercialization Efforts
- Senate Finance at 9 p.m., Dept. of Revenue’s Role in the AKLNG Project
- House Fisheries at 10 a.m., Presentation on Pike as an Invasive Species in AK
- House Health and Social Services at 3 p.m., Insurance Coverage for Telehealth
- Lunch and Learn at 12 p.m., Norway’s Correctional System
This week the House Finance Committee finished up its work on the budget, after considering about 90 amendments. Unfortunately, no significant reductions were able to gain sufficient support in the committee, and thus the current draft of the budget includes a nearly $200 million increase, a marked uptick over previous years. This does not accurately reflect the amount of revenue that the state has coming in, nor does it take into account our state’s deficit which is worrisome to those of us who would like to see government live within its means. Along with other House Republicans, our office will be working to reduce spending in areas that don’t affect the health or safety of Alaskans as we approach the House floor debate on this budget.
Hopefully the House will consider the budget on the House floor in the coming week. Once the budget passes the House, it moves to the Senate, which has been analyzing the budget since the beginning of session as well. Usually, the House and Senate budget drafts don’t line up perfectly, and the two bodies enter negotiations to settle differences between the versions before a final draft is sent to the Governor. The Governor then may sign it or veto portions he disagrees with. If you’d like to learn more about the budget process, and tips for reading through budget documents, visit here: http://legfin.akleg.gov/Other/SwissArmyKnife16.pdf
Our Cougars are coming back from Spring Break this week and getting right into the swing of things! Soccer and track are getting underway as the spring sports season kicks off.
Boys Soccer: On Tuesday March 20th at 8:20 p.m., the boy’s soccer team will face off against Bartlett High at The Dome (6501 Changepoint Dr., Anchorage, AK 99518).
Girls Soccer: On Thursday March 22nd at 8:20 p.m., the girl’s soccer team goes up against Bartlett High at The Dome (6501 Changepoint Dr., Anchorage, AK 99518).
Track & Field: On Friday from 3 – 7 p.m., and Saturday from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m., the Track Mini B Scramble is happening at The Dome (6501 Changepoint Dr., Anchorage, AK 99518).
We hope the start of these sports goes well for all our athletes!
In a few weeks friends and neighbors will gather at Abbott Loop Community Council’s monthly meeting. The Council is set to meet March 29th, from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at Abbott Loop Elementary. We encourage you to attend to learn about what is happening in our community.
The Anchorage Hillside Home and Landowners Organization meets monthly as well on the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. at the Holy Spirit Center which is located at the corner of O’Malley Road and Hillside Drive. Their next meeting will be April 5th.
We hope you have a great week! Please stay in touch!