As we head into this weekend, Alaskans can be relieved to know that the Legislature has completed the capital budget.
Capital Budget Passage
Yesterday, the House and Senate convened in Juneau for the 3rd Special Session of the year to pass a Capital Budget, SB 23. Passing this budget was essential to continue work on critical road and safety projects, along with meeting other infrastructure needs. The capital budget, like any bill that passed the Legislature this year, is a product of compromise. Many left many feeling they did not get everything they wanted. However, to receive federal funds and continue maintenance and construction projects, passage of this bill was necessary.
Here are a few highlights of this year’s Capital Budget:
- Funding for the Community Assistance Program, for a total distribution of $38 million
- Funding for the Public and Community Transportation State Match
- Funding for domestic violence and sexual assault prevention programs and shelters
- Funding for increased public safety patrol of the Seward Highway between Anchorage and Girdwood
- Funding for deferred maintenance projects
As we enter August, and the slowdown to summer construction season we all must remain aware of the construction zones throughout our city and state. DOT has provided us with another update to the ongoing project along the Seward Highway. Here’s what they had to say this week:
NEW TRAFFIC PATTERN: Southbound Seward Highway traffic has shifted from the Seward Highway to Homer Drive, which now acts the southbound Seward Highway. Northbound Seward Highway traffic has shifted from the Seward Highway to Brayton Drive, which now acts as the northbound Seward Highway. Be alert to a reduced speed limit of 45 MPH throughout the construction zone.
- Please note that no side road access will be permitted to and from the Homer Drive and Brayton Drive frontage roads during construction.
- Work will be in effect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, through mid-October, in order to expedite the construction process
The upcoming 2017-2018 ASD school year is right around the corner (sorry kids!) and you know what that means: registration! In person registration for our schools is as follows:
- Service High: August 1st through 3rd, 8am – 11am & 12pm – 3pm
- Hanshew Middle: August 1st through 3rd, 8am – 11am & 12pm – 3pm
- Kasuun Elementary: August 1st through 3rd, 9am – 3pm each day. Likewise, click here for the full school supply list for all grades!
- Abbott Loop and Trailside are both August 1st through August 3rd, however they don’t have times set yet though we assume they will likely be similar to Kasuun. Abbott Loop does have its supply list up!
Fast and Female!
We are so blessed in Alaska to have so many strong, smart, accomplished Alaskan women in sports to inspire our young athletes. We are additionally lucky to have such amazing influencers and athletes committed to helping young women stay confident in their participation in sports through the Fast and Female program. Born out of the idea that girls drop out of sports at 6x the rate of boys in their early teens, and the top reason for their mass exodus from physical activity is the experience of a lack of social belonging, Fast and Female provides programming designed to keep girls healthy, happy and active in sports through their teens. This past Thursday, Fast and Female USA President Kikkan Randall hosted fellow athletic inspirations at the Alaska Rock Gym and led girls in instructive and fun activities to help show them that they have a place in sports. The day looked absolutely fabulous, and the girls looked enthusiastic and thoroughly engaged.
Thank you so much Kikkan for leading this program and inspiring kids and adults alike! To learn more about Fast and Female, and help the young gals in your life get involved, visit www.fastandfemale.com
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this update, and for staying engaged as we work through the issues facing our state. Please continue to reach out with your questions, ideas and concerns. We’re here to serve you!
All my best,